[tex-live] [pdftex] PDF 1.5 by default in TL 2010

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 13:56:54 CET 2010

2010/1/13 Élie Roux <elie.roux at telecom-bretagne.eu>:
>> I've been told that most text
>> file transfer over the networks are compressed on the fly by the
>> routers (?) so that the actual impact on bandwidth might be zero.
>
> Aouch !!! You've been told wrong, doing such a thing is totally
> impossible. Which protocol are you talking about exactly? an IP router
> deals with IP, it is already a humongous work for a router to make a
> packet go from one place to another through the good pipe and most are
> overloaded, deep inpection of the packet to see if it could be some
> bits shorter is just absurd... I never heard such a rumor, it's quite
> funny though :-)

http protocol can do it. If the server can compress the file on the
fly and the client informs in the Accept headers that it is able to
decompress it, the file may be sent compressed. However, routers do
not compress packets. The packets are quite small, the compression
ratio would be close to negligible.

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/