[tex-live] [pdftex] PDF 1.5 by default in TL 2010

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Tue Jan 12 23:47:00 CET 2010

Karl Berry wrote:

 > Another thing we could do is provide separate executables/formats
 > pdflatex-14, etc.  Then both options would always be available to all
 > users.

Much as I like the idea of supporting both PDF 1.4 and PDF 1.5,
it seems to me that having "separate executables/formats" is
using a sledgehammer to crack a nut, and would cause major
problems for users of front-ends such as WinEDT.  Is it really
so difficult for these PDF options to be set in a single (one-
purpose) file that can be accessed through the TL installer
and manager, or even set in environment variables ?

** Phil.