[tex-live] [pdftex] PDF 1.5 by default in TL 2010

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Tue Jan 12 19:33:23 CET 2010

Robin Fairbairns a écrit :
> should there be a freeware viewer in tl?

I wouldn't change anything. Documents produced with TL are not distributed only
with TL :-) That's the whole point: using PDF as a document exchange format.
Otherwise, we could simply tell that people using a recent TL are certainly able
to install a recent viewer.

IMO the point is rather along the following lines: a TL2010 user creates a
document, sends it to people or puts it on the web. Now, someone receives or
downloads the documents, and tries to read it with his favourite viewer, which
may happen to be old if this person is a Phil or a Robin :-)

No what? If the person wanting to read the document is likely to be able to use
an alternative, more recent, viewer, fine. If not, it is more annoying.

> it's all rather tricky, if you ask me.  my general view, as when
> jonathan fine and i argued the toss over the arrival of latex 2e[*], is
> that better things sometimes cost, and the best we can do is ameliorate
> the users' problems.

100% agreed. The tricky part is to guess if the cost if higher than the benefits.

Manuel.