[tex-live] PDF 1.5 by default in TL 2010

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Tue Jan 12 19:00:34 CET 2010

Elie Roux wrote:

 > I kind of disagree : this means that users won't see their TeX system
 > improved because Phil Taylor has Acrobat 5.0 and doesn't want to change
 > (even for a free software) because he has principles (that don't have
 > anything to do with TeXLive)... doesn't sound like the 'very fair'
 > definition to me ;-)

1) You appear to believe that generating PDF 1.5 would
    be an improvement; this is surely the very point
    being debated, rather than an /a priori/ given.

2) This has nothing to do with my principles.

3) In my humble opinion, Manuel's assessment :

 > IMO that is the real question. Most people seem to prefer smaller
PDFs. If that only makes the documents inconvenient to read for others,
I think it's acceptable. It would be more annoying if the documents were
completely unreadable for some users.

seemed to go out of its way to be "fair" to all concerned.

 > Thank you,

De rien.

** Phil.