[tex-live] PDF 1.5 by default in TL 2010

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Tue Jan 12 15:31:27 CET 2010

Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk> writes:

> Having listened to the various arguments for and against,
> I would now like to express my personal position.
>
> For me, Adobe Acrobat 5.0.5 was the last successful
> version before Adobe started to split out functionality
> into so-called "Professional" and "Professional Extended"
> versions, and therefore remains my choice even today.

Not everybody can be expected to be using Windows and an old version of
Acrobat.

> Thus I would want to be able to view any PDFs generated
> using TeX Live 2010 in Adobe Acrobat 5.0.5 or Adobe
> Acrobat Reader 5.0.5.  I am far less interested in
> how small or how large my PDFs are, since I can always
> compress them using Adobe Acrobat 5.0.5.

No, you can't.  Acrobat 5.0.5 has no options that would not cause it to
either decrease the quality of included JPEG images or drastically
_increase_ the size of the processed PDF.

So I don't think that your personal position and assessment is really
matching that of the needs of a significant ratio of TeXlive users.

--
David Kastrup