[tex-live] PDF 1.5 by default in TL 2010

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Tue Jan 12 10:08:00 CET 2010

On Di, 12 Jan 2010, Heiko Oberdiek wrote:
> The whole issue would become less dramatical, if the format
> generation would support a user configuration file, e.g.
> And pdftexconfig.cfg belongs to the user if he wants other default
> settings.

Not a good idea. Then we will end up with outdated format dumps hanging
around in users TEXMFVAR and they will never know what they have
to do.

If a user *really* knows what he is doing he can already now call
	fmtutil-sys --byfmt ...
after having dropped n update pdftexconfig.tex into his TEXMFCONFIG
and the formats will be generated the correct way.

User specific formats, ie .fmt files in TEXMFVAR (~/%USERPROFILE%)
are a pain if the user does not know about them. The problem is
that a normal user will end up with an outdated format file while the
admin tells him: "Yes I have installed the hyphenation patterns for foo"
but he never sees them because he has an outdated format.

Same with pdftexconfig.cfg. It does not help. Those who can cope with
the problems already know what to do.

Best wishes

Norbert
JAIST, Japan            TU Wien, Austria           Debian TeX Task Force