[tex-live] [pdftex] PDF 1.5 by default in TL 2010

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 11:50:53 CET 2010

2010/1/11 Victor Ivrii <vivrii at gmail.com>:
> 2010/1/11 Martin Schröder <martin at oneiros.de>:
>
>> Nothing stops you from generating PDF 1.4 instead; those who want to
>> generate PDF/X-3 will have to fiddle with their engines anyway.
>>
>> Best
>>   Martin
>>

> Currently the default setting is pdf-1.4 aka Acroread 5. It does not
> prevent many users to produce pdf-1.5 with compression. However for
> majority of users one extra line in the preamble seems too much - why
> otherwise we see a lot of math manuscripts without hyperref.
>
> So in my opinion the best default is what is the best for this mass of
> losers - not that I care much about them but I care about myself as
> some of these pdf files I need to read. In this sense I am for pdf-1.5
> and those who know what pdf/X- is definitely know how to adjust
> settings. However I am an extremist: if it was up to me hyperref would
> be loaded by the default (I know, I know that it should be loaded
> after (almost)  all other packages)

Please no hyperref as default. It is a useful package, I use it
sometimes, but it also breaks some documents. For instance, if you
want to write a document in Hindi (Marathi, Nepali, Sanskrit) using
the Velthuis package, hyperref must not be loaded. The hyperref
package is too huge so that I do not know where the problem is. It
used to work a few years ago but I am not sure whether I still have
all the files that worked. At that time I did much work on OS/2 but
both my OS/2 computers have already crashed.

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/