[tex-live] dvips can't find font

Orm Finnendahl o.finnendahl at mh-freiburg.de
Thu Jan 7 18:15:10 CET 2010

Hi,

 I'm having problems with dvips with a custom installed font (Adobe
Syntax) on my Ubuntu 8.10 system with tex-live.

xdvi displays the .dvi file fine. Running dvips gives me this:

  kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode ljfour --bdpi 600 --mag 1+120/600 --dpi 720 psxr8r
  mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for psxr8r.

The relevant entry in my file syntax.map (residing in $texmf/fonts/map/fontname/) is:

  psxr8r Syntax-Roman " TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont " <8r.enc <psxr8a.pfa

running 'updmap-sys --listmaps' shows me the file "syntax.map" is
included.

I installed all tfm, vf and type1 files in the correct locations (with
the correct canonisized names) and created a file
/etc/texmf/updmap.d/10local.cfg

with the following contents:

  Map scala_sans.map
  Map scala_serif.map
  Map syntax.map

Then I ran 'texconfig rehash' and 'update-updmap'.

As I said, xdvi finds the font. Any ideas what I could check? The
other custom installed scala fonts seem to work fine.

--
Orm