[tex-live] sudo tlmgr of TL 2009

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Wed Jan 6 02:30:10 CET 2010

On So, 03 Jan 2010, Christian Pleul wrote:
> after installation of TeX Live 2009 under 9.10, I would like to update the TeX Live Manager itself and the TeX distribution via the gui. Therefore, I tried

You installed it as root or as normal user?

> the variation with sudo returns
>
> sudo: tlmgr: command not found

Well, then the PATH for root is not set up to search the texlive bin dir.

> How could I use the tlmgr with the appropriate user rights?

How did you set up the path for yourself? Did you as user adjust
something like putting
	PATH=..../2009/bin/aaa-bbb:$PATH
into your .bashrc? Or did you symlink the binaries into $HOME/bin, or
something else?

That are in fact quite TeX unrelated questions, it is about checking
the environment of root. You could do
	sudo env
and see the output for PATH and other settings.

Best wishes

Norbert
JAIST, Japan            TU Wien, Austria           Debian TeX Task Force