[tex-live] Luatex formats and hyphenation patterns

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon Feb 22 23:24:27 CET 2010

Khaled Hosny <khaledhosny at eglug.org> wrote:

> In my naive attempt to fix this, I made a copy of etex.src with the name
> luatex.src, patched it to only load hyphenation patterns when requested
> (i.e. in \uselanguage instead of \addlanguage) and changed luatex.ini
> accordingly.
>
> Attached the modified files, and a diff for quick review.

it's late; i'll look at them tomorrow.

> This seems to work as expected, but I don't think this is the right
> approach since the patterns are reloaded every time the language is
> requested instead if only once the first time it is called. And latex
> format needs to be fixed too.

i was thinking in the context of babel (which definitely has to be
fixed).  my scheme would patch the \selectlanguage (and similar) calls:
if the language being asked for had not been loaded, then load it at
that time.  (babel throws an error if the language hasn't been loaded,
just now.)

this general mechanism can surely be extended, making a straightforward
addition to any package that needs to select languages.

robin