[tex-live] tlmgr/p5-Tk: fontconfig support and clash with SCIM daemon (was: Two tlmgr/installer gui issues: Xfce/FreeBSD)

Nikola Lečić nikola.lecic at anthesphoria.net
Thu Feb 4 13:32:11 CET 2010

[Replying to 3 emails at once]

Karl and Reinhard, you were right: indeed this was not the problem with
"fixed" font, but with p5-Tk without fontconfig support.

FreeBSD port by default (and eo ipso FreeBSD p5-Tk package) provide
non-fontconfig version because p5-Tk README states that "freetype2,
fontconfig and Xft is provided for Unix" as "experimental".

So, if I pass WITH_XFT=yes to the port's Makefile, tlmgr window looks
just like Reinhard's:

  http://anthesphoria.net/FreeBSD/TeXLive-Devel/translations/tlmgr-gui-FreeBSD-Xfce-20100204-WITH_XFT.png

Various Linux distros obviously all tacitly compile p5-Tk with XFT. I
guess that adding an info about that in tlmgr and on the web would be a
good idea.

Now answering your questions:

karl at freefriends.org (Karl Berry) wrote
  in <201002032346.o13Nk3St018669 at f7.net>
  on Wed, 3 Feb 2010 23:46:03 GMT:

>    nl> The boxes are non-writable regardless of write permissions.
>
> Nikola, it seems that this must be some peculiarity of the Tk you have
> vs. what tlmgr is expecting/doing/programming for.  There's probably
> no practical way for Norbert to debug why it's happening on BSD when
> it doesn't happen anywhere else.  Any chance you can dig into it?

I found the cause: SCIM daemon (scim -d) running without XIM_PROGRAM
variable blocks tlmgr. At least on FreeBSD, other Tk applications
have the same problem. (IBUS daemon does not block Tk dialogs.)

I will investigate this further. For now, this solves the problem:

  export XIM_PROGRAM="scim"
  export XIM_ARGS="-d"

Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote
  in <20100204015747.GC28599 at gamma.logic.tuwien.ac.at>
  on Thu, 4 Feb 2010 02:57:47 +0100:

> Nikola: Can you run the attached script test.pl with
> 	perl test.pl
> and send us the output. It checks that used default settings of
> the font and the actually selected ones.
>
> Running it on my computer shows that I actually might use fontconfig
> in Tk, too, since here it returns bitstream vera as the fefault
> font.

With p5-Tk / WITH_XFT:

  preset settings:
  -weight -> normal
  -underline -> 0
  -family -> undefined
  -slant -> roman
  -size -> 0
  -overstrike -> 0
  actually used settings:
  -weight -> normal
  -underline -> 0
  -family -> Bitstream Vera Sans
  -slant -> roman
  -size -> -15
  -overstrike -> 0

Without XFT support:

  preset settings:
  -weight -> normal
  -underline -> 0
  -family -> undefined
  -slant -> roman
  -size -> 0
  -overstrike -> 0
  actually used settings:
  -weight -> normal
  -underline -> 0
  -family -> fixed
  -slant -> roman
  -size -> -17
  -overstrike -> 0

Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de> wrote
  in <19306.8778.854436.266375 at zaphod.ms25.net>
  on Thu, 4 Feb 2010 02:26:34 +0100:

> BTW, if you compare our screenshots, you'll see that you get some
> messages in English at the bottom of the GUI frame, while I get them
> in Serbian. [...]

I am aware of it... Just one of testing tree/bins combinations I use.

> Could you check whether Ubuntu already offers a newer version of
> Perl/Tk?

(FreeBSD) It is the last p5-Tk version (804.028).

Best regards,
- --
Nikola Lečić = Никола Лечић
fingerprint : FEF3 66AF C90E EDC3 D878  7CDC 956D F4AB A377 1C9B