[tex-live] [HELP] Paper size always A4

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Sun Dec 12 08:42:43 CET 2010

On So, 12 Dez 2010, Leo wrote:
> With `geometry' I can see the changed paper size. But why article is not
> respecting the paper size option? I need to fix this because some of my
> .tex files are exported by software. Thanks.

Because LaTeX by itself does not have an idea on which *physical*
paper size you are printing, and it has no idea how to transport
that to the driver.

That is about as old a question as LaTeX. It was always like that that
you have to use one of the following:
- give the physical page format to the driver (dvips)
- use special packages to instruct pdflatex to set the paper size
  (latex by itself does NOT do that!)

As said, this has nothing to do with TeX Live, this is texhax material,
or any other user group related to TeX. Thanks.

Best wishes

Norbert
CURRY MALLET (n.)
A large wooden or rubber cub which poachers use to despatch cats or
other game which they can only sell to Indian resturants. For
particulary small cats the price obtainable is not worth the cost of
expending ammunition.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff