[tex-live] updmap and TEXMFHOME

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sat Dec 4 21:58:17 CET 2010

On 4 December 2010 Heiko Oberdiek wrote:

 > On Sat, Dec 04, 2010 at 01:25:52PM +0100, Zdenek Wagner wrote:

 > > > it runs with nfss catcodes, which (among other things) ignores spaces,
 > > > which is (of course) death to map files.
 > > >
 > > > if you preceded the loading with something setting the catcode of space
 > > > (and so on) back, and then reset using \nfss at catcodes afterwards, your
 > > > code would work.
 > > >
 > > > robin
 > > >
 > > How about:
 > > \let\savedpdfmapline\pdfmapline
 > > \def\pdfmapline{\begingroup\catcode`\ 10 \execpdfmapline}
 > > \def\execpdfmapline#1{\endgroup\savedpdfmapline{#1}}
 >
 > The redefined \pdfmapline is incompatible to the primitive \pdfmapline.
 > For example, LaTeX 3 uses `~' as space token where ` ' is also
 > ignored.
 >
 > Also the map line uses `=' that is not covered by \nfss at catcodes.
 > `=' might be active (see turkish.ldf). Also missing is `+'.
 >
 > \begingroup
 >   % assuming \nfss at catcodes is in force
 >   \catcode32=10\relax % space
 >   \catcode43=12\relax % plus
 >   \catcode61=12\relax % equals
 >   \pdfmapline{...}%
 > \endgroup

I suppose that \nfss at catcodes sets only the catcodes for characters
used by NFSS.  Suppose you are using Babel and " is active and
\pdfmapline contains PostScript code like "0.167 SlantFont".

dvips also needs [ for things like:

      "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont" <[8r.enc

Do we need
  \catcode`\"=12
  \catcode`\[=12
as well?