[tex-live] updmap and TEXMFHOME

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Fri Dec 3 08:57:31 CET 2010

Hi Bob,

On 12/03/2010 01:56 PM, Bob Tennent wrote:
> $HOME/.texlive2010/texmf-config/web2c/updmap.cfg
>
> I'm instructed to use either
>
> updmap-sys --enable Map=foo.map

Does not work for the updmap.cfg in your home directory

> or add entries to TEXMFLOCAL/web2c/updmap-local.cfg
> and call
>
> tlmgr generate updmap

does not work either.

> This is surely not right for *private* local fonts; i.e., fonts that are
> in my TEXMFHOME tree, not in TEXMFLOCAL? I can add Map entries using
> updmap -e or updmap --enable Map=... but it seems those entries are
> clobbered when tlmgr updates.

No they shouldn't.
	tlmgr generate updmap
will update TEXROOT/2010/texmf-var/web2c/updmap.cfg, so it
will not clobber changes you have made to the one in TEXMFHOME:

> I conjectured that I should add entries to TEXMFHOME/web2c/updmap-local.cfg
> but then what do I use to re-generate
>
> $HOME/.texlive2010/texmf-config/web2c/updmap.cfg

Fonts in home directories are a pain, still by now.

You can:
- move them to TEXMFLOCAL if you have access to it
- keep them in TEXMFHOME, but then you have to call tlmgr with
   additional argumetns:
      tlmgr --localcfg /path/to/your/local/updmap-local.cfg \
            --dest ~/.texlive2010/texmf-config/web2c/updmap.cfg \
            generate updmap

This ensures that all fonts installed in the system plus all your
fonts are included in your home updmap.cfg, but you have to
do that whenever the sysadm has changed something regarding fonts
in the main updmap.sys

All the best

Norbert

PS: tlmgr is by now *NOT* meant for user file configuration and
management, it is for the TeX system admin.