[tex-live] TeX4ht does not work properly with default TeXLive Windows install

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Fri Aug 27 00:21:40 CEST 2010

Le 26/08/2010 13:45, George N. White III a écrit :
> On reflection I think any scheme that relies on wrappers is doomed to
> fail -- there are too many places where ghostscript is invoked,
> different names on different platforms (gswin32c on Windows), and
> the names are already coded in many places, including 3rd party
> tools such as convert.

On the contrary, your argument means that renaming is doomed to fail, but not
wrappers. What the wrappers do is set the path so that the external tools (GS &
Perl for now) become "visible" with their natural name. Since path is inherited,
tools called by the wrapped script will see the 3rd party tools.

> In my view, the biggest issue is how to make it clear to end users that
> "some configuration is required".

Sure. That's what documentation is for :-)

> It should also be possible to  provide (architecture dependent)
> "tlbug" scripts similar to perlbug or octave-bug that would include
> checks for 3rd party tools.   The script should be designed to be
> run by the end user in order to document issues with the user's
> environment, but unlike scripts designed purely for reporting
> bugs, they should be written in a way that will help users
> resolve configuration/setup issues before reporting them as
> bugs.

The problem is, users have to know about this tool in the first place, so
documentation is needed again. Moreover, I'm not sure even the best tool can do
more than tell users to read the appropriate documentation about what to install
and how.

Manuel.