[tex-live] (no subject)

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed Aug 25 01:57:59 CEST 2010

Reinhard,

    * tlmgr --help: The TeX Live Manager uses "less" to display the help
      text. In the new version, it shows some wired escape sequences.

I can reproduce it on tug.org, ssh'd in with a plain old xterm, locale
settings all POSIX.  I run:
$ (unset LESS; unset LESSOPEN; tlmgr help)

And it says:
"/tmp/OWdfETYIXZ" may be a binary file.  See it anyway?

And I type "y" and and what I see is the attached screenshot, full of
ESC sequences.

If I just hit RET instead of typing "y" to the binary file question, it
displays correctly.

If I set PAGER=more (which gets /bin/more), it displays correctly.

Both /bin/less and /usr/local/gnu/bin/less on tug have the same wrong
behavior.

I don't know when I'll have a chance to really look into it.  If you
feel like it, so much the better.

Thanks,
karl

[ATTACHMENT /tmp/s.png, image/png]