[tex-live] Fwd: files generated by fmtutil/updmap -- platform independent?

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 01:41:06 CEST 2010

2010/8/23 Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard <mpg at elzevir.fr>:
>>> By the way, the formats (fmt files) definitely need to be regenerated (I'm
>>> probably stating the obvious, but anyway).
>>
>> It's not obvious to me, but I never really looked into this.
>>
> I mean, *when* something concerning the formats is changed, the only way to
> handle that is to regenerate the formats, patching them like we would patch the
> ls-R files is not an option. (Binary files, engine-dependent format, etc.)

Hyphenation patterns are inside the format.  These patterns are
definitely not additive in the binary format file. Reimplementing this
part of the iniTeX engine in perl so that the format files can be
patched according to user selection would be painful

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/