[tex-live] removing belleek from TeXLive

Beuthe, Thomas beuthet at aecl.ca
Tue Aug 10 03:08:16 CEST 2010

UNRESTRICTED | ILLIMITÉ

While installing the mathtime fonts, it came to my attention that pdfLaTeX gets confused
And ends up not using the mathtime fonts for certain things.

The source of the confusion is the belleek fonts.
Belleek interferes with mathtime and needs to be removed.
The easiest way I came up with for doing this is to simply delete
the belleek.map file from the installation and then regenerate all
of the map files.  Since belleek.map is no longer there, these
entries will no longer propagate to the map files used by
all of the applications.

Somehow this method seemed a little "abrupt".
I would have preferred a more generalized method, so I tried uninstalling the
belleek package from the TeXLive Windows Manager (GUI).
At first it didn't want to uninstall it because belleek is needed by other packages.
I was still using the "older" TeXLive manager, and it has a checkbox to "force" the uninstall,
And using this seemed to work, although there were some strange error messages that said
I has not uninstalled belleek.  But the belleek entry in the updmap.cfg now had a #! In front
of it, and when I checked the appropriate map files, they also no longer had the belleek font entries in them.

Was this the appropriate way of removing belleek?
Does the "force" do what I think it does (remove anyway, in spite of dependencies)?

In any case, let's continue the story.
Knowing that the manager has an update< I decided to try it on for size.
When I attached to the internet repository, the manager dutifully informed me that an update
for the texlive manager was available and it could not do anything until I updated it.
So I said yes, and the update promptly failed and I had to do it manually.
Not too impressive.

Then I started up the new update manager and tried to uninstall belleek.
I was told that belleek cannot be uninstalled because it is needed by collection-fontsextra,
and for the life of me I could not find a "force" option anywhere (did I miss something?)
Alright then, what about uninstalling collection-fontsextra?
No can do, because the collection-fontsextra dependent on scheme-full and scheme-gutenberg...

So what to do?

And another thing.
The manager action depend on the repository being present.
This could end up being a major pain for anyone using a laptop (not me, but now the majority of
just about everyone... First year students: 90+%) because they would have to run around
with a copy of the DVD at all times...

Right now I'm uninstalling TeXLive completely, loading up the entire repository on hard disk,
And reinstalling from there just for fun... :-)
Last time I tried it this way on another machine, it took only 20 minutes instead of 1-2 hours from dvd.

Comments welcome!

Thomas
CONFIDENTIAL AND PRIVILEGED INFORMATION NOTICE

This e-mail, and any attachments, may contain information that
is confidential, subject to copyright, or exempt from disclosure.
Any unauthorized review, disclosure, retransmission,
dissemination or other use of or reliance on this information
may be unlawful and is strictly prohibited.

AVIS D'INFORMATION CONFIDENTIELLE ET PRIVILÉGIÉE

Le présent courriel, et toute pièce jointe, peut contenir de
l'information qui est confidentielle, régie par les droits
d'auteur, ou interdite de divulgation. Tout examen,
divulgation, retransmission, diffusion ou autres utilisations
non autorisées de l'information ou dépendance non autorisée
envers celle-ci peut être illégale et est strictement interdite.