[tex-live] Texlive2009 uninstall

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 13:46:38 CEST 2010

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 6:01 AM, Matteo Montalto <foo-lish at email.it> wrote:
> Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard ha detto: in data 28/04/2010 00:14:
>>
>> Le 27/04/2010 23:26, Matteo Montalto a écrit :
>
>> You can used a dummy deb package as described here:
>>
>> http://www.tug.org/texlive/debian.html#vanilla
>
> Sounds interesting... :)

The dummy package method works well, but some people need both
(e.g., to ensure that software documentation can be formatted by those
using the texlive 2007 deb packages).

>> Alternatively, just let synaptic install whatever dependencies he wants
>> to, if your TL09 comes first in your PATH, it will still be used.
>
> That's probably the easiest solution. I hope I understood it well; after the
> script installation I added manually the following entries to /etc/profile
> (system-wide):
>
> if [ -d "/usr/local/texlive/2009/bin/i386-linux" ] ; then
>    PATH="/usr/local/texlive/2009/bin/i386-linux:$PATH"
> fi

This should work.

> if [ -d "/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf/doc/man" ] ; then
>    MANPATH="/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf/doc/man:$MANPATH"
> fi

Some versions of man will look for man pages in directories related to
those in the PATH.   If you have this type of man commands you can
create a symbolic link to the "real" man directory to enable this without
touching MANPATH.

> In order to apply this solution, I'd simply check, after dependencies
> installation, that these rows are processed BEFORE the corresponding tl07
> ones? Is this sufficient?

Assuming you did not create the symbolic links for the current TL in /usr/bin
all you need to do is examine the PATH setting in a terminal.

> Thanks again and forgive the noobyness ;)

Just for the sake of completeness, I should mention the environment
modules system which allows users to adjust the environment using
a command-line utility:  <http://modules.sourceforge.net/>.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia