[tex-live] Problems using Asymptote on Cygwin [TL2009]

Ken Brown kbrow1i at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 14:58:07 CEST 2010

On 4/20/2010 8:11 AM, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
> On 20 April 2010 Ken Brown wrote:
>
>   >  The asymptote binary shipped with the TL2009 Cygwin binaries is
>   >  identical with the native Windows binary.  I never succeeded in doing a
>   >  proper Cygwin build.  Maybe I'll try again for TL2010, but it will be a
>   >  while before I can get to this.
>
>  From the TeX Live svn log:

> r13717 | karl | 2009-06-12 01:26:38 +0200 (Fri, 12 Jun 2009) | 1 line
>
> i386-cygwin binaries from Ken (+asy from Bowman)

Sorry, I used confusing terminology.  I shouldn't have said it's a
native Windows binary.  What I meant was that it's the same binary that
John Bowman built for the TL2009 Win32 distribution (using Cygwin tools
and linked against cygwin1.dll).  But, being intended for Windows, it
doesn't use Unix-style paths, which leads to the issues that Angelo
reported.

It probably wouldn't be a big deal to tweak Bowman's build to make a
Cygwin binary that integrates better into the Cygwin environment.  But I
couldn't quite get it to work, and I didn't think it was worth a lot of
effort at the time.

Ken