[tex-live] texlive perl

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Wed Apr 14 18:27:55 CEST 2010

T T a écrit :
> On 14 April 2010 16:00, Lars Madsen <daleif at imf.au.dk> wrote:
>> Lars Madsen wrote:
>>> Can anyone get tlperl to start Adobe Reader?
>>> [...]
> Strange. This works for me with our perl just fine:
>
>   perl -e "system('start somefile.pdf')"

Some time ago, there was a problem with AR started from texlua, only if the
texlua script was itself started using our texlua wrapper script from then. I
don't remember the details, but it boiled down to something like:

kpse.set_program_name(arg[-1])
os.exec('texlua foo.lua')

with foo.lua containing:

os.execute('start foo.pdf')

failing badly when AR (a certain version) was associated with pdf files. If you
changed the os.exec in os.execute, or didn't initialize kpse before, the problem
disappeared.

So it would be worth checking if the problem depends on whether tl's perl.exe is
called directly from the command line, or indirectly through the wrapper.

I hope we don't have an occurrence of a similar problem, since at that time
nobody had the slightest idea what was going on.

Manuel.