[tex-live] [Fwd: Re: TeXLive Perl + latexmk (windows)]

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Wed Apr 14 17:43:18 CEST 2010

Norbert Preining a écrit :
> On Mi, 14 Apr 2010, Philip TAYLOR wrote:
>>> That will not happen, as the search path and the primary texmf.cnf is
>>> found according to the location of the binaries.
>> But that could be changed (should be changed, IMHO).  Just because
>> that is how things currently are does not mean that that is the
>> way they must remain for all eternity.  Every new release of TeX
>> Live allows for things to be improved : one such improvement would
>> be the separation of programs from data.
>
> Yes, but as long as we do not want to loose tlmgr update --all
> facility that will not happen. Or as long as we do not get
> more programmers that actually reimplement something like apt-get/dpkg
> in perl for us, it will happen neither.

Absolutely: we have to balance the cost of "improvement" in terms of development
time and all the bugs (= annoyance to users) that would not fail to happen if we
did such a big change, between what it would actually bring to the users. Here,
the cost would be huge, since we'd be touching at two fundamental things: kpse
and tlmgr, so the benefits should be huge in order to compensate.

>> I do, as a matter of course, but it doesn't address the fundamental
>> issue of the separation of programs from data.  Ye Gods, this is
>> 2010, and this is hardly a new or a revolutionary proposal, even
>> if Microsoft have done their d at mndest to make it impossible with
>> Windows 7 :-(

Sorry, but I can't see huge benefits here, besides you stating that the question
is fundamental.

George N. White gave a practical example, with shared folders, which is IMO a
much stronger argument than just stating that the question is fundamental. But I
still don't see it changing in the foreseeable future.

Manuel.