[tex-live] [Fwd: Re: TeXLive Perl + latexmk (windows)]

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Wed Apr 14 16:04:31 CEST 2010

Norbert Preining wrote:

 > That will not happen, as the search path and the primary texmf.cnf is
 > found according to the location of the binaries.

But that could be changed (should be changed, IMHO).  Just because
that is how things currently are does not mean that that is the
way they must remain for all eternity.  Every new release of TeX
Live allows for things to be improved : one such improvement would
be the separation of programs from data.

 > You still of course can move TEXMFLOCAL whereever you want ...

I do, as a matter of course, but it doesn't address the fundamental
issue of the separation of programs from data.  Ye Gods, this is
2010, and this is hardly a new or a revolutionary proposal, even
if Microsoft have done their d at mndest to make it impossible with
Windows 7 :-(

** Phil