[tex-live] strange changing permissions

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Mon Apr 12 19:19:05 CEST 2010

George N. White III a écrit :
> Maybe "install" should have an option to make ownership of
> installed/generated files match the existing value.

You could ask the maintainer of gnuplot (and/or other similar packages) for an
option to use "sudo <user>" before any intervention related to TeX Live (writing
files in the texmf-local tree, running mktexlsr). This is quite easy to
implement: define a Make variable "TL_CMD_PREFIX", empty by default, then add it
to a few places like :

$(TL_CMD_PREFIX) mkdir -p ...
$(TL_CMD_PREFIX) install  ... ...
$(TL_CMD_PREFIX) mktexlsr

The the user can do:

sudo make install TL_CMD_PREFIX="sudo tladmin"

(omit the initial sudo if you're already root or otherwise have sufficient
privileges).

> TeX Live could provide a mechanism so that when mktexlsr, etc.
> are run by root the ownership is set to that of the pre-existing files
> or to some designated tladmin user:group, or at least exit with
> warning message if pre-existing files are not owned by root.

I'd don't really like this idea. IMO utilities should respect "natural"
ownership. If you want the files generated to be owned by tladmin, you should
become tladmin using sudo or su before running the utilities.

Manuel.