[tex-live] Inclusion of qpdf

Martin Schröder martin at oneiros.de
Thu Apr 1 17:34:17 CEST 2010

Hi,
the more I use it, the more I want to see it included in TL2010.

<quote src="http://qpdf.sourceforge.net">
What is QPDF?

QPDF is a command-line program that does structural,
content-preserving transformations on PDF files. It could have been
called something like pdf-to-pdf. It also provides many useful
capabilities to developers of PDF-producing software or for people who
just want to look at the innards of a PDF file to learn more about how
they work.

QPDF is capable of creating linearized (also known as web-optimized)
files and encrypted files. It is also capable of converting PDF files
with object streams (also known as compressed objects) to files with
no compressed objects or to generate object streams from files that
don't have them (or even those that already do). QPDF also supports a
special mode designed to allow you to edit the content of PDF files in
a text editor. For more details, please see the documentation links
below.

QPDF is not a PDF content creation library, a PDF viewer, or a program
capable of converting PDF into other formats. In particular, QPDF
knows nothing about the semantics of PDF content streams. If you are
looking for something that can do that, you should look elsewhere.
However, once you have a valid PDF file, QPDF can be used to transform
that file in ways perhaps your original PDF creation can't handle. For
example, programs generate simple PDF files but can't password-protect
them, web-optimize them, or perform other transformations of that
type.
</quote>

qpdf is the only free program I know (I'm not counting pdfopt, as it
works quite different and needs gs) to be able to linearize (optimize
for web) PDF, which makes it quite interesting for us.

It's free (artistic license 2.0), there are already packages for
Debian/Ubuntu (but not for OpenSUSE), and the author is quite
responsive to bug reports.

Best
   Martin