[tex-live] Please rename the texlive binary package to texlive-medium/minimal/whatever

Frank Küster frank at debian.org
Tue Sep 29 15:45:29 CEST 2009

Package: texlive
Version: 2007.dfsg.2-4
Severity: wishlist

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard <mpg at elzevir.fr> wrote:

> In my experience, the most confusing fact for users of downstream-packaged
> version of TeX Live is that a package named "texlive" exists, which does *not*
> correspond to the default install scheme of upstream TeX Live (btw this is not
> specific to Debian, I think).
>
> IMHO, it would help a lot if either:
> - the "texlive" package installs all (ie, it's texlive-full)
> - there is no "texlive" package, but a series of packages like
> "texlive-minimal", "texlive-medium", ..., "texlive-full".
>
> It would avoid a lot of bad surprises and/or misunderstanding for end users.

We should consider this, so I opened a bug report. texlive-minimal is
for sure not the correct name for the current "texlive" binary
package. With that name, every developer would assume that it's some
minimal collection needed for building of autogenerated input files
(that's the only connection most non-TeX-addict Debian developers have
with TeXLive).

texlive-medium doesn't sound very nice to me.  Other suggestions?

Regards, Frank

--
Dr. Frank Küster
Debian Developer (TeXLive)