[tex-live] tl09 release status: coming up

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed Sep 23 01:27:06 CEST 2009

Update on the TeX Live 2009 release: at this point, the only remaining
item known to me is updating the translations of the manual.  (Some have
been done, but not all.)  My expectation is that the DVD will ship with
the binaries currently committed.

Until the translations are done, we will continue to do package updates.
After that, I expect to freeze for a few days while the final images are
built and the full TeX Collection image prepared and updated on CTAN.

After that, we will resume package updates via the tlnet mechanism.
(People running TL 2008 will be best off installing TL 2009 separately,
instead of trying to update/migrate.  We hope that in 2010 a more robust
update will be possible.)

So, if anyone has been waiting to test until things are getting close to
final ... now would be a good time to give it a shot.  Information about
trying the pretest is at http://tug.org/texlive/pretest.html.

Karl