[tex-live] TeXlive and FreeBSD

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Sep 17 00:11:18 CEST 2009

    The port system in FreeBSD still uses teTeX. And the port maintainer
    seems to have no interest to migrate that to TeXLive. (I mail him
    several times, but got no replies)

Maybe there is some way you can escalate to whoever owns the ports system?
Maintainers are supposed to reply.  And staying with teTeX means no
updates, ever, so that doesn't make sense.

    I can compile FreeBSD binaries (amd64 or i386) for TeXLive. If the
    communities do want these binaries, I can commit to the svn
    repository.

Thanks for offering.

With OpenBSD, I am under the impression that shared library versions
are updated so often that there's basically no chance of a binary being
built for release version X running on any other release.

If that's the case for FreeBSD too, I don't see much point in taking up
precious DVD space for binaries that have such limited use.

But in any case, we could distribute the binaries from the web; there's
no problem doing that.  So if you want, please do go ahead and build
them.  Please join the tlbuild mailing list if you do and discuss any
issues there.

Thanks,
Karl