[tex-live] (Win32) Another problem with space in %COMSPEC%?

Dan Luecking luecking at uark.edu
Thu Sep 3 20:21:46 CEST 2009

Lately, trying "tlmgr update --all" has led to to this error message:

   You don't have permission to change the installation in any way,
   (etc.)

This, of course, comes from the function check_on_writable in
tlmgr.pl which in turn calls
   TeXLive::TLUtils::dir_writable
which, in turn tries to execute
   system('copy /b ' . $ENV{'COMSPEC'} . ' "' . $fb . '" >nul 2>&1');
This seems to fail if there is a space in %COMSPEC%.

I am unable to thouroughly check this as I have just uninstalled
my TCC shell program (from "C:\Program Files\") in disgust and
reinstalled it in a directory without a space in the name. This
means I will not be able to catch such problems in the future, as
I did recently with updmap.

Regards,
Dan

Daniel H. Luecking
Department of Mathematical Sciences
University of Arkansas
"Dubito ergo cogito, cogito ergo sum" --Descartes