[tex-live] TL '09 on Ubuntu

Joel C. Salomon joelcsalomon at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 00:09:49 CET 2009

I’ve got an Ubuntu system with TeX Live 2008 installed (via web
installer), and I’m going to want to upgrade when TL ’09 is released.
(I’m pretesting TL ’09 on my Windows box and I’m quite impressed.)

Should I install TeX Live from the web installer when the release
happens, or would it be better to wait until a Debian/Ubuntu repository
becomes available?  (I’ll be uninstalling TL ’08 first.)

What will the trade-offs be?  Will one be a better fit for the system
than the other?  Will there likely be a long wait for the repository to
be made available?

(I’m trying NOT to sound like I’m nagging.  I have an idea how much work
is going into the release, and I’ll wait patiently until it’s ready.  I
just want an idea of what the best options will be when it is ready.)

—Joel Salomon