[tex-live] TL 2009 : No menu entry in Start/Programs

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Mon Oct 12 14:59:42 CEST 2009

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard wrote:

> I'm sorry, but isn't the text "create shortcuts in menu and on desktop"?

Probably.  But as I can't copy-and-paste from
the GUI pane, I have to rely solely on my 62-
year-old brain, which is none too good at accurately
recalling such long and complex strings :-)

> You may find some help at:
>
> http://www.tug.org/texlive/w32client.html
>
> (obiously you're not using a client over a network, but I think the w32client
> script has the ability to add a start menu entry to an existing installation).

OK, will try that : thank you.

> My opinion is that we should always install shortcuts in the start menu, so we
> could even keep only one option: "install shortcuts on desktop". I tend to think
> windows users expect programs to always install shortcuts in the start menu, so
> it need not be an option (at least not in the wizard installer). As a windows
> user, wdyt?

Most better installers allow the user to select none, one or both,
but one or both is certainly a significant improvement on none
or both.

** Phil.