[tex-live] tl09 release status: coming up

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Fri Oct 9 10:00:53 CEST 2009

Norbert Preining wrote:

 > Sorry, I have NO idea what the problem is. In fact I am sorry, but
 > probably we should write:
 > 	Using rsync on Windows can create strange problems and we
 > 	have no idea how they could be fixed.
 > Sorry, I am Linux guy, and do my testing in a virtualbox, never thought
 > about using rsync on windows.

OK, but let us leave out the issue of Rsync; what about
the fact that under Windows/XP,  the presence of the
.manifest file prevents access to "Install-TL.bat"
(as confirmed by removal of the .manifest file), and
that even when the .manifest file is removed, the
installation fails with a further "Access is denied"
message when attempting to launch PERL, for which there
is also a .manifest file which, if removed, allows access
to PERL.exe ?

And what about the fact that even when these two .manifest
files are removed, installation aborts at :

 > H:\TeX\Live\2009\Mirror>perl "H:\TeX\Live\2009\Mirror\install-tl"
-location . -g
 > ui perltk
 > Can't load
'H:\TeX\Live\2009\Mirror\tlpkg\tlperl\lib/auto/Win32/API/API.dll' for
 >  module Win32::API: load_file:Access is denied at
H:\TeX\Live\2009\Mirror\tlpkg\
 > tlperl\lib/DynaLoader.pm line 230.
 >  at H:/TeX/Live/2009/Mirror/tlpkg/TeXLive/TLWinGoo.pm line 130
 > Compilation failed in require at
H:/TeX/Live/2009/Mirror/tlpkg/TeXLive/TLWinGoo.
 > pm line 130.
 > BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
H:/TeX/Live/2009/Mirror/tlpkg/TeXLive/TLWin
 > Goo.pm line 141.
 > Compilation failed in require at H:\TeX\Live\2009\Mirror\install-tl
line 62.

It seems to me that moving to release status is still somewhat
premature for Windows users, who numerically exceed Linux users
by a substantial ratio.

** Phil.