[tex-live] tlmgr: Is it possible to see the version number of a ctan package?

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 10:37:38 CET 2009

2009/11/30 Robin Fairbairns <Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk>:
> Heiko Oberdiek <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de> wrote:
>
>> > i have now changed the catalogue repository.  as i understand it, this
>>
>> Is there a need to do the update of the version number *manually*?
>
> there's no fixed way of recording a version number, and while your way
> is common, it's by no means a majority (and parsing it, without latex in
> the loop, might be challenging ... non trivial in an automatic
> procedure)

\ProvidesPackage, \ProvidesClass and \ProvidesFile require date
formatted as YYYY/MM/DD followed by any text. There is no rule for
version number. Versioning systems may also insert some information.
In my packages I put it to \PackageInfo or \ClassInfo because dollars
make no harm there and the identification is printed in the log file
which will give me useful information if somebody reports a bug. But I
admit that it may not be easy to find it automatically. And other
package developers will do it in a different way.

> so i've never tried.

Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz