[tex-live] tlmgr: forcibly removed packages

Ken Brown kbrow1i at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 16:49:33 CET 2009

On 11/25/2009 10:33 AM, Norbert Preining wrote:
> On Mi, 25 Nov 2009, Ken Brown wrote:
>> Is it a bug in tlmgr that an auto-removed package appears as forcibly
>> removed?  Or is it just a documentation problem?  The tlmgr
>> documentation seems to say that a package is only viewed as forcibly
>> removed if the user runs 'tlmgr remove --force'.
>
> Hmm, good question. In this case with the server skew tlmgr thought that
> it was forcibly removed. The problem is tlmgr does not keep track
> of the commands that you actually used, but only deduces the status
> like "auto-install", "auto-remove" and "forcibly-removed" from the
> revisions of the containing collections on the local and remote tlpdb.

So maybe the tlmgr output should be changed to avoid confusing users.  I
don't remember the precise messages, but it said something like,
"Skipping forcibly-removed package combinedgraphics".  An alternative
would be, "Skipping combinedgraphics, which appears to have been
forcibly removed.  If you want to reinstall it, run 'tlmgr update
--reinstall-forcibly-removed combinedgraphics'".

On the other hand, this may be a rare enough event that it's not worth
the trouble.

Ken