[tex-live] (TexLive 2009 - win32) Trouble with makeglossaries

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Thu Nov 19 00:54:53 CET 2009

On Mi, 18 Nov 2009, C.M. Connelly wrote:
> "GNW" == George N White <gnwiii at gmail.com>
>
>     GNW> Perl, ruby, etc. scripts are a weakness for the Win32
>     GNW> version of TL2009.  If you have access to suitable
>     GNW> hardware, consider running TL2009 in a linux VM to take
>     GNW> advantage of the generic tools (perl, ghostscript, etc.)
>     GNW> provided by the linux distro.
>
> I'll be happy to stick with MikTeX on Windows until such time as
> TeX Live provides a seamless TeX experience for my Windows users.

I don't see a reason why it should *not* do that by now? True there
are some obscure scripts shipped by TL which do not run out of the box,
but neither doe MikTeX ship them, nor has anyone complained in the last
years, so it seems that they (the scripts) are not so much in use.

The core functionality should be as seamless as with Miktex.

Plus, there is the one big advantage: install and maintain only *ONE*
installation on a unix server and use it on all your computers!
NFS/samba and you don't have to update N computers! That was for me
when I set that up in our department the killer feature.

Best wishes

Norbert

Dr. Norbert Preining                                        Associate Professor
JAIST Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology   preining at jaist.ac.jp
Vienna University of Technology                               preining at logic.at
Debian Developer (Debian TeX Task Force)                    preining at debian.org
Arthur's consciousness approached his body as from a great
distance, and reluctantly. It had had some bad times in
there. Slowly, nervously, it entered and settled down into
its accustomed position.
Arthur sat up.
`Where am I?' he said.
`Lord's Cricket Ground,' said Ford.
`Fine,' said Arthur, and his consciousness stepped out
again for a quick breather. His body flopped back on the
grass.
                 --- Arthur coping with his return to Earth as best as he
                 --- could.