[tex-live] texlive for win64

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 14:14:10 CET 2009

2009/11/16 SUN Wenchang <sunwch at hotmail.com>:

> Dear  Reinhard,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> Since I am not familiar with programming, I can not do that by myself.
> I thought it could be similar to compile the sources with a 64bit compiler
> as that for a 32bit one.
> Now I understand that it is not an easy thing.
>
> Anyway, I am happy to have TL2009 in a windows machine. And I express my
> sincere thanks to the developers.

For the record, Windows users have options to run TL2009 under linux.

I don't have a 64-bit Windows system, but I have seen evidence that
linux-64 works
very nicely in a Virtual Machine hosted by Win64.  If you are working
with large
documents then fragmentation of the Windows filesystem becomes an issue.  With
linux you have a number of options for filesystems better suited to
HPC workloads.
You can mount a native linux disk on a linux VM so the heavy I/O is handled
by a more suitable filesystem such as ext4 or xfs, or you can use one of the
high-performance linux filesystems on an iSCSI SAN.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia