[tex-live] texlive for win64

Martin Schröder martin at oneiros.de
Mon Nov 16 16:40:59 CET 2009

2009/11/16 Élie Roux <elie.roux at telecom-bretagne.eu>:
> Except if you load several big OTF fonts, which I always do, and will
> certainly be more and more done...

In general you only need 64bit if you have to handle more than 4GB of
data. I have not yet seen a pdftex run where this was needed (and we
have HUGE documents) and I doubt that I'll see a luatex run where this
is a problem soon. Of course 64bit makes things like Large File
Support easier - and if your hardware and your OS are 64bit (like most
modern Linuxes on modern machines) 64bit software will be a bit
faster. But normally 64bit is not a magic speed bullet (in fact the
software can run slower because the code and variables become larger).

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64bit#Pros_and_cons

Best
   Martin