[tex-live] TeX Live & FreeBDS

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 08:28:59 CET 2009

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 23:32, Karl Berry wrote:
>    > FreeBSD have very good ABI compatibility support.
>
> My recollection is that I was told that the version of every shared
> library was changed in every (minor) release, e.g., from version 20 to
> version 21.  So that distributing a binary that works on version X.Y is
> useless, because it will not run on X.Y+1, or X.Y-1, let alone anything
> more distant.
>
> Now that I write this, I'm not actually sure if I was told about
> FreeBSD, OpenBSD, or NetBSD, or some subset of those.
>
> Are you telling me now that is incorrect for FreeBSD?

I cannot speak about FreeBSD since I don't use it myself, I can only
tell that we had no problems with binaries present in TL 2008. But
then again - we were using only a small subset of them.

> Anyway, although we won't be adding FreeBSD (or any other new) binaries
> to the DVD, Scott Friedemann (he's on this list, and tlbuild) has built
> them and kindly volunteered to maintain them going forward.  They'll be
> available over the Internet after the release.  If anyone wants to try
> them now, I put them at ftp://tug.org/historic/systems/texlive/2009
> (file i386-freebsd.tar.gz, the only thing there at the moment).

Thanks a lot. I'll put those to our distribution and ask our FreeBSD
users to test. Even if they don't go to DVD, it would be nice to have
them available in repository. Maybe Yue and Diego on CC can say more
about whether the binaries on the link work ok on their setup (most
probably different version than the one used for compiling).

Thanks again,
    Mojca