[tex-live] tlmgr problem on mac

Alessandro Languasco languasc at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 17:17:43 CET 2009

Hi,

I was trying to update the texlive 2009 pretest on my mac.

First I updated tlmgr from http://ftp.cstug.cz/pub/tex/tlnet/;
tlmgr update --self was ok.

The following command tlmgr update --all gives me the error

sh-3.2# tlmgr update --all
tlmgr: package repository http://ftp.cstug.cz/pub/tex/tlnet/
/usr/local/texlive/2009/tlpkg/installer/xz/xzdec.universal-darwin:
(stdin): File format not recognized
First directive needs to be 'name', not <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//
DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd
"> at /usr/local/texlive/2009/tlpkg/TeXLive/TLPOBJ.pm line 123,
<RETFH> line 1.

Trying again tlmgr update --self gives the same error.

So it seems (to me) that the tlmgr auto-update on the mac (at least on
mine...) installs some corrupted file.

So I discarded completely /usr/local/texlive/2009 directory, I installed
from scratch using mactex 2009 (oct 22 version) and I tried again
to update. But I got the same mistake (first update --self is fine;
but then update--all
doesn't work and from this point nothing works in using tlmgr)

Do you have some advice/ suggestion?

Regards
	Alessandro