[tex-live] Install font in Mandriva 2009.1

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Sat May 30 15:53:03 CEST 2009

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 8:55 PM, Bob Plantz <plantz at cds1.net> wrote:
> On Thursday 28 May 2009 16:31:35 Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
>>
>> Maybe you can simply remove Mandriva's TeX Live and install it from
>> http://texlive.org .  Then everything is under your control.

And texlive now has its own package manager and can be configured
to do installs without "root" privileges.   TL can coexist with Mandriva's
TeX -- don't use the "create symbolic links" option and put the bin directory
before /usr/bin in the PATH.

>> Regards,
>>   Reinhard
>
> Thanks again for your very kind help, Reinhard. I will consider that option.
>
> This has also caused me to reconsider my use of LuxiMono. It is used in an
> assembly language book that I have written. I need a mono spaced font that has
> bold so I can highlight the keywords. One of the problems with LuxiMono is
> that one and lower-case el, and the zero and upper-case oh, look very similar.
> This is more of a problem with assembly language than other languages.
> LuxiMono is suggested in The LaTeX Companion, but that book is five years old
> now. Although I tend not to like slashed zeros, it does improve readability in
> assembly language.

I'm working on a "literate" Fortran project (much time lost only to discover
the reason a program was crashing was that user's editor had converted
ASCII input files to unicode).

I prefer the "dotted" zero in DejaVu Sans Mon over the slashed zero.

Unicode now offers more choices, so you can monospace glyphs in
fonts that aren't "monospaced", e.g., STIX.   DejaVu Mono uses the
new names for existing glyphs.  I think both STIX and DejaVu provide
bold and italic for common monospaced glyphs.

U+1D7F6 MATHEMATICAL MONOSPACE DIGIT ZERO

General Character Properties

In Unicode since: 3.1
Unicode category: Number, Decimal Digit

U+1D695 MATHEMATICAL MONOSPACE SMALL L

General Character Properties

In Unicode since: 3.1
Unicode category: Letter, Lowercase

> Back to the drawing board. (I never really left it.)

Unicode will provide lots of new ways to use that
drawing board.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia