[tex-live] [XeTeX] Conflits in gsfonts packge and tex-live distro

Pander pander at users.sourceforge.net
Wed May 20 00:08:06 CEST 2009

Karl Berry wrote:
> Hi Pander,
>
>     1) Names of pfb files are not identical between gsfonts(-x11) and
>     texlive. According to the version numbers inside he fonts, texlive is
>     lagging behind with version 1.05, where gsfonts is at 1.06. Can texlive
>     be upgraded and rename its files?
>
> Please say exactly what files you are talking about, or even better, put
> the actual files on the web somewhere and send me a url (not a Ubuntu
> package, I can't do anything with that; I mean the actual files).  I
> don't have or want Ubuntu, let alone the same precise versions as you
> do.

Hi Karl,

You can find the files here:
- gsfonts (see Download Source Package .tar.gz on the right)
http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/gsfonts
- gsfonts-x11 (see Download Source Package .tar.gz on the right)
http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/gsfonts-x11

The latter package links partly to fonts in gsfonts but also provides
new font files.

On both pages is also a 'list of files link, somewhere in the middle of
the page, which tells you exactly what files are in the archives.

When you create .pfa files (pdb2pfa or pfbtopfa) you can find which ones
are connected to files in texlive. E.g.

$ find /usr/share/fonts /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/fonts/ -name
a010013l.pfb
/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1/a010013l.pfb
/usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/a010013l.pfb
$ find /usr/share/fonts /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/fonts/ -name
uagk8a.pfb
/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/urw/avantgar/uagk8a.pfb

These files are both URW Gothic L (Book), see the pfa files for the
version, the texlive is at 1.05, gsfonts is at 1.06. I don't know if the
upstream archives are identical for GNU/Linux, like Ubuntu and texlive.

Hope you can work with this info?

> At a guess, we're talking about the PFB's that come with Ghostscript.
> If that's the case, I see no prospect of renaming them in TeX Live.
>
>     2) gsfonts comes with a defoma hint file, which refers to gsfont pfb
>     file names, texlive does not ship with a defoma hint file. Can texlive
>     also be shipped with its own defome hint files?
>
> I've never heard of a "defoma hint file".  What is it, where does it
> come from, and does it have anything to do with TeX?

No, it is more Debian stuff, nevermind that question, it is more an
integration issue for the Debian/Ubuntu texlive packagers. Just in case
Ubuntu/Debian packagers for texlive are also on this list. They will
have to sort out which font files and versions a have higher priority.

Regards,

Pander