[tex-live] Three questions on XeTeX, TeXLive 2008, and Ubuntu

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Tue May 12 08:10:06 CEST 2009

Hi Nicolas,

On Mo, 11 Mai 2009, Nicolas Vaughan wrote:
> for I speak Python. If I can help somehow with the project, please let me
> know.

Not with python, unless you want to reprogram everything and write a API
in Python.

> Having said that, I should add I have read in several fora many complaints
> regarding the issue I have pointed to. It's *surprising*, then ---if
> "preposterous" was a bad choice--- that Ubuntu is lagged behind two
> releases.

The reason is simply:
- Debian released lenny recently with TL2007, it was definitely
  impossilbe to get TL2008 in there.
- TL2009 is *not* released by now, so we are lagging one release behind
- Ubuntu's releases are not parallelling Debian releases, and unless
  they don't do any own packaging they have to wait for me
- I will probably not package 2008 at all, because for the next Debian
  release I want 2009 in Debian.

I have experimental 2008 packages but that is only for testing.

And yes, adapting the debian packaging *IS* difficult because we rewrote
the WHOLE infrastructure between 2007 and 2008.

So, as said, volunteers with perl knowledge and testing abilities
needed.

Best wishes

Norbert