[tex-live] install-tl with network location, but without sneaky updates?

Marc Herbert Marc.Herbert at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 13:03:15 CET 2009

Robin Fairbairns a écrit :

> so you _don't_ want to use the dvds, but rather a reduced subset?

Who is actually using the entirety of the software on the DVD?

> people _do_ download things like those dvd images from ctan, both via
> ftp and via http.

I for sure could write a script to have each host download the entire
ISO image, loopback-mount it and install the few packages I want. Huge
waste of time and of (CTAN!) bandwidth.

> i'm not sure i understand the problem (i can guess
> it's because of rules local to the target systems, but i don't really
> understand).

One of the problem I was describing is that:

    install-tl  -location  http://my.server/expanded-ISO-image/

does not work, as documented in the help of "-location" (confirm?).

Using a NFS/SMB mount seems like a workaround.

Cheers,

Marc