[tex-live] TDS and binaries / man pages

Daniel Becker daniel.becker at uni-rostock.de
Thu Mar 19 16:31:41 CET 2009

Am 19.03.2009 um 15:38 schrieb Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard:

> Daniel Becker a écrit :
>> 3) CTAN / TDS
>>
>> I have difficulties to understand the TDS-structure from the
>> documentation I found. The splitindex package as Markus distributes
>> it
>> currently contains at the top-level three folders:
>>
>> bin/
>> man/man1/
>> texmf/doc/latex/splitindex/
>> texmf/source/latex/splitindex/
>> texmf/tex/latex/splitindex/
>>
> I don't know what's the desired layout for CTAN, but in TL bin is
> outside of the
> TEXMF trees, while man is in the texmf (= TEXMFMAIN) tree and the
> rest in the
> texmf-dist (= TEXMFDIST) tree. So we'll have to re-arrange things a
> bit, but it
> is not a problem.
>
>> /scripts/splitindex/bin
>> /scripts/splitindex/man
>>

> I think those are not good places. Binaries should be in the PATH
> and man pages
> in MANPATH in order to be useful, so the path should not contain the
> package name.

I had a second look at http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/tds/tds.pdf
(Section 3.6)

As the package contains a perl-script and a java class file my reading
is that they should go in

/scripts/splitindex/splitindex.class
/scripts/splitindex/splitindex.pl

But only those. See below

> My opinion is that the .tds.zip won't be directly usable (ie, just
> unzip at the
> root of your TEXMFHOME) by users, and that in TeX Live we don't
> really care,
> since our scripts can move things as we like.

Ok, thanks. Does that mean that a package that contains binaries and
man pages cannot be packaged in a TDS-compliant way? As some
additional action is required anyway, what about putting the bin and
the man folders inside /source? (tds.pdf: "The TDS leaves unspecified
any structure under source.")

texmf/source/latex/splitindex/bin/
texmf/source/latex/splitindex/man/
texmf/source/latex/splitindex/ + other files (.dtx, .ins, ....)

The advantage would be that a user who unzips the tds.zip doesn't get
"strange" directories at the top level, but only in the /source/latex/
splitindex/ directory. This still does not mean that a user that
unpacks in a local texmf-tree gets something usable. But at least the
local texmf-tree is not cluttered.

Daniel