[tex-live] TeX Live on usb drive

cetex at didaskalikos.org cetex at didaskalikos.org
Tue Mar 17 10:54:08 CET 2009

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard wrote:
> Philip TAYLOR a écrit :
>
>> Is it possible that Jerónimo's users are trying to
>> install under Vista, and that Vista's paranoia
>> concerning security is refusing to allow anything
>> on an untrusted USB stick to execute ?

Yes, I intend install under Vista (my students are Vista-users and all
of them from humanistic areas as also I am: my course is about critical
editions with the package ledmac). The paranoia security is also assured
by the net of my University (no wifi, no dhcp, a proxy...). I tried the
suggestion of Manuel: I downloaded install-tl from the net installation
tree, unziped it into the usb-drive and, from Vista, I clicked onto the

install-tl.bat

file and something happened, but this kind of system automatically try
to connect to internet, and then:

unusable location http://mirror...

Then, this way is not useful for me (I suspect that also for others).

I'm not sure if MikTeX is the best for me. I was persuaded that TeX Live
is the most compatible system (also for Mac, which is used by a little
number of students). I need an universal system (for Mac, Win, Linux;
for old laptops without wi-fi, and so on) that can install also in the
third world, fast and complete (ledmac, but also xelatex... for the
greecists).

I tried (several months ago) to copy from the DVD the whole system to
the usb-drive, but something with the installer happened that stopped
the process. If you have a little bit of patience, I will reproduce the
error and, in a few days I will send to you the error message.

Thank you very much.

Jerónimo