[tex-live] TeX Live 2008, i386-freebsd, FreeBSD 6.4 and i386-linux

Conny Andersson unitex at telia.com
Mon Mar 16 22:36:19 CET 2009

Hi, Yue Wang

First, thank you for demystifying FreeBSD's version numbering. Second,
thank you for making my TeX Live life easier on FreeBSD.

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009, Yue Wang wrote:

> Hi, Conny
>
> On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 6:46 AM, Conny Andersson <unitex at telia.com> wrote:

>> xdvi-xaw: error while loading shared libraries:
>> libXaw.so.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
>> directory
>>

> This depends on your linux-compatibility module. did you fully install
> the linux xorg library in the ports tree (using the fedora linux
> binaries)? if yes, check the version number, and manually link the
> versions in /usr/compact/linux/usr/lib/.

I do not think so, and will check it out when running that system on which
TeX Live i386-linux is installed. But, your reminder on a build from source
later in this email might solve my problems alltogether ...

>> So, as a conclusion it is not easy to run TeX Live 2008 on FreeBSD 6.4 which
>> is newer then the FreeBSD 7.0 on which TeX Live 2008 i386-freebsd was built.
>>

> Well. Thanks for reporting this. Maybe for TL09 we should consider
> building binaries on old releases (like 5.x) so all the releases will
> be supported. (But newer versions like 6 and 7 should install extra
> compatibility packages from ports tree).

That was done with 'compatibility packages from ports tree' for 4.x and 5.x
on the actual 6.4 system.

> But Conny, can you try to build the TeXLive source tree on your
> FreeBSD 6.4, and copy all the binaries to your bin/freebsd-i386
> directory. This should be work for you (and no libmap.conf is needed).
> Only by this way all the libraries will be correctly linked. And this
> should be the best way to solve your problem.

Yes! That is nice, I like compiling from source, and usually I make a build
from ports instead of installing packages when installing software. So,
right now I discovered something that had totally slipped my mind - sorry:
I have the texlive-20080816-source.tar.lzma in /dvd/texlive/source/. The
/dvd is my Tug-membership benefit - the 'TeX Collection DVD, Sept. 2008'.
Thank you.

> The source code tarball could be found on
> http://www.ctan.org/get/systems/texlive/Source/texlive-20080816-source.tar.lzma
>

> Before building the sources, read the README carefully
> ( for example, you should always set the TL_MAKE to gmake, and set the
> fontconfig library path to /usr/local)

Note taken, thank you!

> It is also very strange that for ConTeXt minimals distribution, all
> the bsd binaries are compiled on 8-CURRENT by Diego and me, but no 6.x
> and 7.x users complains...

? Well, I don't know why ...

> BTW, for multi-core processors, 7.0 or 7.1 will benefit from the ULE
> scheduler. maybe upgrading to newer versions is a good idea....
>
> Yue Wang

I will be doing some other things for some time, but I will try to make a
build from source when being in front of my computer again. For now, I did
a little test: unitex at alice [/dvd/texlive/source] > lzma -tv \
texlive-20080816-source.tar.lzma
texlive-20080816-source.tar.lzma:  decoded successfully

Thanks Yue Wang - best wishes,

Conny