[tex-live] TeX Live 2008, i386-freebsd, FreeBSD 6.4 and i386-linux

Yue Wang yuleopen at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 03:14:00 CET 2009

Hi, Conny

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 6:46 AM, Conny Andersson <unitex at telia.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On March 11, 2009 I wrote that 'Now TeX Live 2008 installs on FreeBSD 6.4'
> and it did. But, I did not run any program then.
>
> The next time I was using my computer was on March 14, and when running
> tex --version I got an error that libm.so.5 was missing. I tried to solve
> the problem as Yue Wang wrote on March 11 as an answer to my first problem
> on
> March 9 'TeX Live 2008 does not install on FreeBSD' (6.4):
>
>> for now, I suggest you to try to remap the lib versions (in
>> /etc/libmap.conf) to see whether it works.
>
>> Yue Wang
>
> So I did that, but then libc.so.7 did pop up as missing - again - when
> trying to run any TeX-program. And, solving that via /etc/libmap gave
> ld-linux.so.1 as missing. And, solving that gave me 'segmentation fault'.
> Like Russian dolls ...

strange. freebsd binaries are not linked to ld-linux.so.1

All the major tex engines (like mpost, pdftex, omega, etc.) should
always linked to bsd libc and libm only. Only xetex is an exception
(like fontconfig).

> Yue Wang had it right, when he on March 11, in a second email wrote that:
>
>> If LZMA and TL binary are built on the same machine, after
>> the installation, the problem will appear again.

> But, xdvi does not work as one example:
>
> xdvi-xaw: error while loading shared libraries:
> libXaw.so.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory

This depends on your linux-compatibility module. did you fully install
the linux xorg library in the ports tree (using the fedora linux
binaries)? if yes, check the version number, and manually link the
versions in /usr/compact/linux/usr/lib/.

> So, as a conclusion it is not easy to run TeX Live 2008 on FreeBSD 6.4 which
> is newer then the FreeBSD 7.0 on which TeX Live 2008 i386-freebsd was built.

Well. Thanks for reporting this. Maybe for TL09 we should consider
building binaries on old releases (like 5.x) so all the releases will
be supported. (But newer versions like 6 and 7 should install extra
compatibility packages from ports tree).

But Conny, can you try to build the TeXLive source tree on your
FreeBSD 6.4, and copy all the binaries to your bin/freebsd-i386
directory. This should be work for you (and no libmap.conf is needed).
Only by this way all the libraries will be correctly linked. And this
should be the best way to solve your problem.

The source code tarball could be found on
http://www.ctan.org/get/systems/texlive/Source/texlive-20080816-source.tar.lzma

Before building the sources, read the README carefully
( for example, you should always set the TL_MAKE to gmake, and set the
fontconfig library path to /usr/local)

> Thank you for engaging in my problem, and best wishes,

It is also very strange that for ConTeXt minimals distribution, all
the bsd binaries are compiled on 8-CURRENT by Diego and me, but no 6.x
and 7.x users complains...

BTW, for multi-core processors, 7.0 or 7.1 will benefit from the ULE
scheduler. maybe upgrading to newer versions is a good idea....