[tex-live] Mixed usage of texlive (cygwin,win32)

Angelo Graziosi angelo.graziosi at alice.it
Fri Mar 6 13:52:23 CET 2009

As someone on this list remember, I have build texlive on Cygwin [1]. I
do this weekly and it works just fine. As you know Cygwin is not yet
supported so to install I use a procedure, which I shortly recall:

A. First I unpack the tarball of the resulting build in
    /usr/local/texlive/2008 so to have .../2008/bin/i386-cygwin etc.

B. Then I install the remainder using:

       /tmp/texlive/2008/install-tl -location /tmp/texlive/2008
       <I>

in which /tmp/texlive/2008 is mirrored from some ftp site.

Usually I use TeXLive with my CYGWIN builds of Emasc+AUCTeX, and as I
said, this works just fine!

Now, since sometime the Cygwin installation itself can be broken, I have
done a Windows NATIVE installation of Emacs+AUCTeX which woks fine WITH
MiKTeX installation if I add '(require 'tex-mik)' to the .emacs of the
NATIVE Emacs installation.

Why not to use TeXLive instead of MiKTeX? So I have changed the
installation of TeXLive in B. with:

B1.

/tmp/texlive/2008/install-tl -location /tmp/texlive/2008
<B> <o>
<I>

i.e. I use the same install script but choosing also to install the
win32 binaries (<B> <o>).

To allow the NATIVE Emacs installation to recognize the win32 binaries
of texlive, I have removed form its NATIVE .emacs, '(require 'tex-mik)',
and I have added

(setenv "PATH" "c:/cygwin/usr/local/texlive/2008/bin/win32")

Now, when I try to build sample2e.tex from the NATIVE Emacs it fails in
this way:

Running `LaTeX' on `sample2e' with ``latex -interaction=nonstopmode
"\input" "sample2e.tex"''
This is pdfTeXk, Version 3.1415926-1.40.9 (Web2C 7.5.7)
%&-line parsing enabled.
---! c:/cygwin/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-var/web2c/pdftex/latex.fmt
doesn't match pdftex.pool
(Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)

LaTeX exited abnormally with code 1 at Fri Mar 06 13:19:52

So, what have I missed?

Is there a way to apply the above mixing?

The suspect is that one CANNOT mix the Cygwin installation with win32...

Cheers,
    Angelo.

---
[1] For example: http://tug.org/pipermail/tlbuild/2008q3/000396.html