[tex-live] Permission denied on Windows XP

giaconet at tin.it giaconet at tin.it
Thu Mar 5 13:19:45 CET 2009

Hi there,
I have installed TeXLive 2008 on two Windows XP computers,
with a beautiful results (and on a Linux machines too).
Unfortunately,
both these windows texlive installations (and only from a pair of
days), reports a "Permission denied error" produce by the tlmgr update
or install process, as you can read here:

>tlmgr update fge
tlmgr:
installation location ftp://ftp.gwdg.
de/pub/dante/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008
[1/1] update: fge (10529 ->
12284) ... tar: Could not create file .svn/text-base/README.svn-base:
Per
ion denied
tar: Could not create file .svn/text-base/install-tl.svn-
base: Permission denied
tar: Could not create file .svn/text-
base/install-tl.bat.manifest.svn-base: Permission denied
tar: Could not
create file .svn/text-base/LICENSE.TL.svn-base: Permission denied
tar:
Could not create file .svn/text-base/LICENSE.CTAN.svn-base: Permission
denied
tar: Could not create file .svn/text-base/doc.html.svn-base:
Permission denied
tar: Could not create file .svn/text-base/autorun.inf.
svn-base: Permission denied
tar: Could not create file .
svn/entries: Permission denied
tar: Could not create file .svn/format:
Permission denied
untarring C:\Programmi\texlive\2008\temp\fge.tar
failed, please retry

Installation of new version of fge did fail,
trying to unwind.
Restoring old package state succeeded.
done
tlmgr:
package log updated at C:/Programmi/texlive/2008/texmf-var/web2c/tlmgr.
log

In my opinion this error is not a permission problem, because
my user is an administrator group member, and it's a news appear from
one or two days.

I read a comment in tlmgr.pl script about the
problem:
        # w32 is notorious for not releasing a file
immediately
        # we experienced permission denied errors

If is
it, is possible to resolve this problem. You can ask to me to do some
experimental actions.
Thanks a lot.
Roberto Giacomelli

My tlmge
version:
>tlmgr version
tlmgr revision 12152 (2009-02-12 13:08:37
+0100)
tlmgr using installation: C:/Programmi/texlive/2008
TeX Live
(http://tug.org/texlive) version 2008
texlive-20080903