[tex-live] Where to find the official Latex manual

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Wed Mar 4 04:01:04 CET 2009

On  3 Mar, 2009, at 19:37, Steven Woody wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In some pdf's in the texlive installation, it was sometimes
> mentioned of a document named 'latex manual', but I don't know where
> exactly the file is.

Maybe is this one:

/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/doc/latex/base/usrguide.pdf

or some similar path in Windows, if that's your platform. In general,
see /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/doc/latex.

>   Can you help?  And, I also want to know, when I get a latex or tex
> command unclear and want to know its meaning and usage, what is the
> best reference document I can find in my texlive installation?

Also, in /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-doc/doc/english/ you'll find a
wealth of information; see, for example, and just for example, .../
comprehensive, .../FAQ, .../latex2e-help-texinfo, .../lshort, .../
mathmode.

Best,

Axel